Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Aftermath and a Book

Well, everyone here is in one piece after Hurricane Irene blew through.... two trees down back home, but none on the house.  I whipped out some wire here finally and tried to make a bracelet like I'd seen in a book at Barnes and Noble but didn't buy.  It turned out okay, but I was way overthinking it.  Lost power twice, and cable was out until yesterday afternoon.  It went out again last night until this morning, hopefully for the last time.  Class was cancelled for yesterday and today, I guess so they can clean up the trees and the general mess without us underfoot. 

I finally opened up my shop again.  Made the announcement that I would last night and then the cable went out so I couldn't until today, but it's back up.  I bought that book at Barnes & Noble and the process was much simpler than I'd expected.  The book is called Wire Wrapping by Linda Chandler and Christine Ritchey.
I really like the step by step photos it has and it explains things very clearly.  I tried the Celtic Knot bracelet for starters because I'd seen that knot before and thought I could do it again on a smaller scale.  It's much easier to do how the book says to do it.  I'm planning on trying some more of the designs as soon as I can get my hands on some decent wire. 

I also discovered that the local A.C. Moore has a totally awesome bead section.  All sorts of pendants and charms....a little lacking in the gemstones for me, but there's a Michael's for that.  Dragonfly Beads is kind of the same way, but AWESOME charms there.  Haven't checked out the Jo-Ann Fabrics yet, it's been kind of hit and miss for me with those.  One in Piqua, Ohio had me practically drooling, and one in Virginia had me going, "meh."  So, plenty of locations to shop for beads!  Now I just need a job. :( Or to sell more jewelry. :)  Off to read some more Beowulf for my Lit. class!

No comments:

Post a Comment